Missionaries of Charity

Religious Congregation – Missionaries of Charity
Convent Name – The Convent

Balaclava Road
Dowlais
Merthyr Tydfil
CF48 3BS

Telephone Number – 01685 376232

About the Missionaries of Charity:

The sisters of the Missionaries of Charity must be amongst the most recognisable in the world.  Their order was founded in 1950 by Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta.  A member of the order makes the usual promises to poverty, obedience and chastity, however they make a fourth promise to“Wholehearted and free service to the poorest of the poor”.  The Missionaries care for a variety of people including refugees, people with AIDS, orphans, the sick, the aged, the mentally ill and the homeless to name but a few.  The work they undertake depends on the circumstances of the communities in which they find themsleves.

A sister’s few possessions include three of the famous blue and white saris, two or three cotton habits, a girdle, a pair of sandals, a crucifix and a rosary.  Everything they have and do is for the service of the poor.