The Season of Lent is an invitation to take another step closer to the Lord and transform our lives by unburdening ourselves of the barrier(s) that we have put up between ourselves and the Lord. Our outward expression of this inner release manifests itself in our Lenten observance. Those things we choose to give up or take on remind us of the deeper transformation that is taking place int his transformative season.
“Confessing to a priest is a way of putting my life into the hands and heart of someone else, someone who in that moment acts in the name of Jesus … It’s a way to be real and authentic: we face the facts by looking at another person and not in the mirror.”
(Pope Francis – 16th January 2016)
When we have problems in our day to day lives and we feel overburdened, we often turn another person for counsel; so it is with the spiritual and moral life. In the Sacrament of Reconciliation (Confession) we approach with humility the throne of Mercy itself and in confessing our sins openly to God and his representative (the priest) we seek to restore our relationship not only with God but with the people around. Sin has social consequences hence the need to confession to another person also. The priest acts a counsellor and mediator for the community, keeping in mind his own sinful nature. Even priests go to Confession! Do not be afraid.
During the Season of Lent, churches will offer extra periods of Confession. At least THREE priests will be available for the Sacrament at the following locations and times:
- Tuesday 7th March – 7:00pm – Our Lady Star of the Sea – Porthcawl
- Tuesday 14th March – 7:00pm – St Cadoc’s – Cowbridge
- Tuesday 21st March – 7.00pm – St Mary’s – Bridgend
- Monday 27th March – 2:00pm – St Joseph’s – Penarth
- Monday 27th March – 7:00pm – St Helen’s – Barry
- Tuesday 28th March – 2:00pm – St David’s Cathedral – Cardiff
- Tuesday 28th March – 7:00pm – St Brigids – Cardiff
- Tuesday 28th March – 7:00pm – Our Lady & St Patrick – Maesteg
- Wednesday 29th March – 2:00pm – St Teilo’s – Whitchurch
- Wednesday 29th March – 7:00pm – St Philip Evans – Llanederyn
- Thursday 30th March – 2:00pm – St Peters – Roath
- Thursday 30th March – 7:00pm – St Mary of the Angels – Canton
- Friday 31st March – 2:00pm – St Francis – Ely
- Friday 31st March – 7:00pm – St Cadocs – Llanrumney
Preparing and making a good confession
During Lent all are invited to rediscover the beauty and grace of this Sacrament. If you need help in preparing for and making a good confession you may use the following materials as a guide.