Archbishop issues further guidelines and message of support
Earlier today the Archbishop of Cardiff, Most Rev. George Stack issued further guidelines across the Diocese for parish operations during the Coronavirus crisis. The guidelines come in the light of the decision of the Catholic Bishops’ of England and Wales to suspend public acts of worship from the evening of Friday 20th March 2020.
The key parts of the guidance include:
- all public acts of worship to be suspended on Friday 20th March 2020
- churches to remain open for private prayer and reflection
- lists to be compiled of ‘live streamed’ liturgies for faithful to use
- materials being made available to assist families/households to pray together over the period of the suspension
- all Baptisms (Christenings) to be deferred until gatherings are permitted once again
- First Reconciliation and First Holy Communion to be postponed
- administration of the Sacrament of Confirmation to be postponed
- Marriages to be deferred where possible. Strict guidelines issued if they must go ahead
- support to be provided to those self-isolating via Pastoral Telephone calls
- administration of the Anointing of the Sick not to include physical contact
- Funerals only to be conducted at gravesides and crematorium. Memorial services/Masses to be arranged at a later date
In conclusion the Archbishop asks all people of the Diocese to support one another throughout the crisis. In what are “heart-breaking” times for everyone the Archbishop assures everyone of his prayers, blessing and good wishes.