Personal Safety Awareness for Clergy (Online)
Two sessions (am/pm) 9.30am – 12.30pm then 1 – 4pm. Thursday 19 May.
Members of the Clergy provide spiritual, personal, and moral guidance and assistance to church members, and offer encouragement to those facing hardship or illness. The Clergy can be called upon to offer encouragement to those who are undergoing hardship or illness, and may minister at prisons, hospitals, orphanages, or retirement homes. They may provide advice or counsel or help by providing necessities to those in need. With these responsibilities come certain risks. They may encounter confrontational situations while undertaking their role. They may become victims of verbal abuse, harassment (including sexual harassment), threats or even physical violence. Confrontation of any type can have a significant impact on confidence and their ability to carry out their role.
The course aims to provide participants with a host of skills and strategies to deal effectively and safely with confrontation and personal security. The combination of theory and practical demonstrations will be delivered in a relaxed, informal, and flexible manner with an emphasis on the opportunity for questions and discussion. The course will cover:
- Risks and concerns – general discussions
- Engaging with members of the community – in the church, presbytery – ad hoc in the street or during pre-planned events – phone/virtual meetings – home visits
- Personal online digital security – trolling (social media, text/email) – suspicious parcels packages, letters
- Safe strategies when ‘out and about’ – walking – driving
- Managing confrontation – effective communication and body language
- Legislation in respect of self-defence
- Reporting procedures – formulating robust incident reports
- Post incident support
Delivered by: Safety Solutions Training Ltd
Registration: Contact Lauren Williams via email firstname.lastname@example.org
Meeting links x 2 will be forwarded nearer the time.
Suitable for: Clergy
Notes: For further queries please contact Lauren Williams: 029 2037 9481 or Chris Mullane: 02920 365961