Bones of Welsh Martyrs identified 150 years after they were found
The year is 1878 and whilst sorting through items in an attack in Holywell, two sets of human bones are discovered in a wooden box. Now nearly 150 years after they are found they have been identified as the skulls and bones of the Welsh Martyrs St. Philip Evans and St. John Lloyd; an extraordinary discovery that had been shrouded in mystery.
St. Philip Evans was a Jesuit priest who was born in Monmouth in 1645 and served the surrounding area as a priest in the time of the Reformation. He was arrested in December 1678 and imprisoned in Cardiff Castle. A few weeks later he was joined in the dungeon by a secular priest, St. John Lloyd who was arrested at Penlline in Glamorgan. They were imprisoned together for 5 months before being found guilty of treason and taken to the Gallows Field (now a major intersection in Cardiff) where they were hung, drawn and quartered.
Both martyrs were canonised by Pope St Paul VI on 25th October 1970.